Learning to ride a bike can be one of the most exciting and empowering experiences of childhood. Get the little one in your life a used bicycle and learn to fix it up at the same time!
Experience level: Beginner to intermediate
Age Range: An Adult or older sibling, (age 16+) paired with a child age 5 to 11.
This class covers:
- How to fix a flat and change a tire
- Introduction to bearing systems
- Brakes, including removing and reattaching a coaster brake wheel
- How to check and maintain the chain on a single speed bike
- Bicycle safety check and tips for riding with kids
Dates and Times
More details about the Build-a-KIDS-bike class:
- Can I bring my kid’s bike from home to fix up instead?
No. In order to conduct a class, we need to make sure student bikes are similar styles and in similar condition. You will, however, have the opportunity to request bike sizes and color schemes on the registration page. If you have a bike at home that needs some love, working on it after you take the class will give you a great chance to solidify what you’ve learned and an excellent project to work on with your child!
- Can I bring my kids with me?
The class is designed for people age 12 years and older. Each registered participant may bring ONE child age 7 to 11 with them to class to help work on the bike. Ages 12+ may register as an adult. Please let us know if you plan to bring a kiddo with you on the registration page.
- Can I make “upgrades” to the bike?
Yes! At the end of the class all the bikes will be mechanically sound and safe for your child to ride, however, if you wish to upgrade other parts of the bike, such as the grips or seat, we will have some brand new parts available for purchase.